It is one of the problems facing today that affects both men and women. A certain disease that is associated with severe soreness and inflammation present specifically to both legs and feet. This condition can be caused by various conditions and can be treated in several ways dependent on those factors.
What is Erythromelalgia?
Erythromelalgia (sometimes called Mitchell’s disease and acromelalgia) is an expression originated from the Greek word “erythros + melos” meaning an extremity, and “algos” which means pain. An unusual form of neurovascular peripheral disease that is common among individuals over fifty (50) years of age. A certain situation that give rise to a condition called “Burning Feet Syndrome”, wherein definite occurrences of burning pain of affected extremities, severe skin redness, and is accompanied by discomforting signs like inflammation and sweating of foot is present.
In addition, having Mitchell’s disease typically influences both sides of the body (bilateral), and sometimes occupies only one side (unilateral) to the affected area. It is known to be caused by condition like heavy metal poisoning along with the fungal and other infections.
Ordinarily, almost sixty (60) percent of the individuals globally are affected by this illness and it is the females are known to experience from this condition than the male ones. This disease may result in worsening the quality of life of the affected person that resulting in the inability to function in a work place, lack of mobility, sudden depression, and etc. for it often appears swollen and tend to be worsen when summer is coming.
Primary and Secondary Erythromelalgia is the two (2) categories of erythromelalgia that fall under this condition and is notably come out in the majority of patients especially in our elderly females particularly at night.
- It results from inherited transformation of the voltage-gated sodium channel and presents symptoms that are often generates through heat, changes in temperature, over-exertion or exercise and etc. It is a symptom of another severe condition inside the body.
- The attacks in this condition last from an hour.
- It can result from certain autoimmune disorders (small fiber peripheral neuropathy).
- The show aggressions typically and are precipitated by the underlying condition.
The following signs and symptoms may differ from one patient to the other. This indication is stimulated by warm temperature due to constant contact. Let’s mention a few:
- Itchiness and tingling sensation – occurs only in a few minutes
- Acute pain in the hands and feet
- Skin discoloration
- Swollen limbs
- Genetic Blood Vessel Condition
- Inflammation and pain in different parts of the body
There are specific problems in various parts of our body that may include erythromelalgia also known burning feet syndrome. Some of the most common causes are:
- Genetic Condition – Parents/ family relative is a carrier of this particular genetic mutation
- Neurological Problems
- Deficient in nutrients such as Panthotenic Acid
- Certain diseases such as: Mushroom and mercury poisoning, sciatica, etc.
- Autoimmune disorders such as diabetes, lupus, etc.
- Usage of ergot derivatives such as Nifedipine, and etc.
These are the activities that are effective help in reducing the sweat and can avoid the attacking of pain on both feet. The following includes:
- Wearing socks and shoes
- Staying outdoors on hot days
- Over exertion or exercise
- Intake of large amount of spicy foods
- Consumption of alcohol
If an individual has a medical problem called erythromelalgia the following are the effective means of solving this particular condition. This treatment depends on the severity of the signs and symptoms of the disease as well as occurrence of its underlying medical disease, disorder or condition.
- Applying cream and ointments
It has a cooling effect on our feet and also relieves the pain.
- Lowering body’s temperature
This treatment can help by raising the limbs and placing it in a cool water for it provides temporary relief only.
- Using of Magnets
It also helps in reducing the pain. It must be used after checking by your physician due to some advantages that may occur while using this kind of treatment.
- Taking certain medication such as aspirin
It helps in diminishing the indications of the situation.
- Taking vitamin C as a supplement
Supports the immune system and helps eradicate accumulated toxic matters inside the body.
- Eat well-balanced diet
It will help in stimulating circulation of the nerves throughout our body.
Used to cure the condition and is going to interrupt nerve connections that would prevent severe complications on the part of the patient. A method known a Sympathectomy – wherein surgical trimming is used to the nerve ends that transmit signals to our body.
The use of the following natural remedies has been promoted and mostly adopted by affected patients for this will bring relief from to this certain condition. The flowing are as follows:
- Take your time to relax and elevate your both feet and place a cold compress to the affected area. Hold this position for about twenty (20) to thirty (30) minutes per week.
It helps in minimizing and preventing the intensity of the disease.
- A habit of taking a bath everyday specifically to area of the feet using sanicle or hawtorn herbs. Place at least twenty (20) to twenty-five (25) drops mixed in the water.
It widens blood vessels contained by the body. This may apply in patients that have a recurring burning condition.
- Another is combination of eucalyptus oil and pepper. Use this for at least four (4) to five (5) times daily.
An effective way in getting rid of the painful and burning sensations in the body.
- For instance, you may take the following foods that are rich in Vitamin B such as whole grains, brown rice, and peanuts, various yellow and green vegetables, butter and milk, and etc.
It can help boost your immune system as well as provide relief from the symptoms of this condition.
source : med.jhmi.edu
source : blogspot.com
source : nejm.org
source : notsuperhuman.com